Thursday, August 5, 2010

An Ode to Benji....not really it just sounded good.....


      As I was driving today, I saw a dog that reminded me of the first dog I ever had. Benji. I got Benji when I was nine years old. He stayed apart of my life and my family until I was about 20 years old. My parents came to visit me and I remembered I said to them quite matter of factually...."How's Benji?" Well..... they looked at each other and then at me and my father gently explained that Benji was no more!!!! I broke down in front of my parents and two friends. I whimpered, "Why didn't you tell me"? Looking back.......they did the best they could with telling me and I know that their intentions were good. It was hard and uncomfortable for them too.

     Well, Mr. Benji as I so named him, was very unique as dogs go. I named him Benji after BENJI the dog in several movies I fell in love with as a child. Remember .....I was nine when I got him. He NEVER ever barked at anyone or anything. Well....I heard him bark only once which was weird. I still wonder what Benji saw in that person to get him all riled up. He was such a friendly dog. When someone was at the door he got excited and waged his tale to no end. He was always ready for entertaining company. He also had a smile that would out shine any sun rise.........

     O.k.....I digress. My point for this itsy-bitty Commemorate to Benji was sparked by a dog I saw that looked so much like him. It made me think of all of good times we shared the vacations we went on and so forth. In seeing the dog today I wondered if that dog had the same characteristics as my Benji did being they were the same breed and all. I wanted to stop and ask the person but people today are so peevish I didn't want to bother.

    Benji was a COCKAPOO. A cocker spaniel and poodle mixed. I NEVER see these types of dogs anymore. These days "TOY" dogs are all the rage so it was so cool to see someone with a good old fashioned cockapoo. I mean I have never talked to anyone else that said they or anyone they know has a cockapoo. Every time I have discussed dear Benji people they always say ....."Oh, I've never seen a cockapoo, what kind of dog is that?" I wonder maybe they have seen it and thought it was just a poodle or something else........... I really don't know. But I miss Benji, he was a blast. His disposition was just right for a child like me. I treated him like a baby and he dealt with it patiently and he was never aggressive.
I kinda miss him now.
    
Well, as I end this stroll down Benji lane, I wanted to share with you some of his pictures...........
Freshly groomed and lookin' sharp!
Needing a cut badly.......

In between his grooming appointments.

Remember this game....